Dieter Rams: Ten Principles for Good Design
Dieter Rams became concerned with the state of the world around him and started asking if his design was good design. He developed these ten principles for a measure of good design.
1. Good design is innovative
2. Good design makes a product useful
3. Good design is aesthetic
4. Good design makes a product understandable
5. Good design is unobtrusive
6. Good design is honest
7. Good design is long-lasting
8. Good design is through, down to the last detail
9. Good design is environmentally-friendly
10. Good design is as little design as possible
Don Norman: 3 Ways Good Design Makes you Happy
subconsciously attracted to a product because of the way it looks. Could either be the type fonts or color or just how it looks in general. People like the product because it is beautiful.
Another subconscious attraction. This attraction is based on the feeling of control.
Can be related to the persons superego. This is all about the users image to others. What products will draw attention.
Thoughtful question: When a product is designed for looks, the function of the product may not be as successful. In that case, does a designer choose looks or function?