1. What are the advantages of a multiple column grid.?
2. How many characters is optimal for a line length? words per line?
anything from 45 to 75 characters is widely regarded as a satisfactory length of line for a single-column page. For multiple-column work, a better average is 40-50 characters.
3. Why is the baseline grid used in design?
4. What is a typographic river?
5. From the readings what does clothesline or flow line mean?
6. How can you incorporate white space into your designs?
7. What is type color/texture mean?
color: refers to the darkness or blackness of the letterforms in mass. depends on 4 things: the design of the type, the spacing between the letters, the spacing between the words, and the spacing between the lines.
8. What is x-height, how does it effect type color?
9. In justification or H&J terms what do the numbers: minimum, optimum, maximum mean?
10. What are some ways to indicate a new paragraph. Are there any rules?
11. What are some things to look out for when hyphenating text?
avoid more than two hyphenations in a row
avoid too many hyphenations in any paragraph
avoid stupid hyphenations
never hyphenate a heading
break lines sensibly
12. What is a literature?
13. What does CMYK and RGB mean?
14. What does hanging punctuation mean?
15. What is the difference between a foot mark and an apostrophe?
foot mark (')
16. What is the difference between an inch mark and a quote mark (smart quote)?
inch marks (")
quote marks (“,”)
17. What is a hyphen, en dash and em dashes, what are the differences and when are they used?
hyphen: strictly used for hyphenating words or line breaks. (-)
en dash: used between words indicating a duration, such as hourly time or months or years (–)
em dash: twice as long as the en dash. often used in a manner similar to a colon or parentheses or it indicates an abrupt change in thought, or it is used in a spot where a period is too strong and a comma is too weak (—)
18. What are ligatures, why are they used, when are they not used, what are common ligatures?